Wednesday 18 January 2012

Vintage Threads...

Ok so as a new blogger I may be naive, but the reality is that before the past couple of days, I had no idea what tagging was. For me it was something that lightweight criminals got instead of a prison sentence and something that involved some kind of weird bondage appliance strapped firmly to one leg that set off an alarm if you were out in the dark.

Then, all of a sudden, there was I minding my own business, finishing off my next blog and wammo... unbeknown to me I get tagged by the lovely The Last Slayer along with Margot and Barbara and Dorky Mum!!!  That’s ok I hear you shout, it’s not like you don’t do this sort of this for fun anyway, but here’s the rub! It couldn’t just have been a nice topic, you know one that I could easily think up, write and post ... something up my street!  Oh no, it had to be on the one thing I know very little about, yep vintage clothes. Now I ask you, is there more of a challenge that you could set a bloke, let alone one that’s actually just a hand, other than to ask them to write about what’s in their wardrobe.

Ok so being one who’s never afraid of a challenge (well maybe... possibly... ok probably then.. depending on what it is) here is my tale of my Vintage ‘Handy’ Wardrobe!


 #1 – The Paisley Romancers
 
So yep it’s true, I was born in the sixties albeit at the very end of the sixties. A decade of free love; Mods and Rockers, Jimmy Hendrix, 1966 and of course paisley patterns. Now these little beauts above are Father Fingers romancing gloves, it was with these gorgeous finger fettlers that he managed to snare Mother Fingers back in the day.  It was a match made in heaven; he was a right hand and she the left... and these gloves brought them together to a point of togetherness that saw little old me enter this world. Who’d have realised that such a simple act of unity, such as clapping hands at the final whistle of a victorious world cup win would have ‘climaxed’  (and I do obviously mean climaxed) in 9 months later the birth of ‘onlyfivefingers’. To this day we keep them unwashed and festering in their loving embrace as a sign of my beginning (for H&S purposes they are obviously in a Tupperware box now!).



#2 – My Wedding Glove
Fashionable, functional and feisty, I present you my wedding glove (or gauntlet as you may see), pretty apt thinking about it as I’ve been running the gauntlet in my marriage ever since.  I came across these hanging amongst the many gloves in my wardrobe while looking to see what to include in this post. They epitomise everything about me.. as you can see they are strong, reliable, fashionable and functional... ok, so you're right that’s nothing like me, but then in reality they were only bought with one thing in mind and that was to stop Mrs Fingers from squeezing that little bit tight when I was asked the vital question on my wedding day (so as you can see they don’t work) but hey I still like them and they do come in handy sometimes ;-)



#3 – Fingers in the movies (and no that's not a euphanism)

Now many of you may not be aware that I have actually quite a famous father.  Those of you that are old enough to recall The Adams Family will have seen my own father in his all naked glory as the character ‘Thing’.  Now it’s true to say that ‘father fingers’ was a keen thespian and happy to perform au natural in the name of his art but he was also a shy and conservative type away from the cameras.  In his quiet time he could always be found in his comfy gloves as he called them, these delicious ‘drivers’, all comfy a delectable moleskin/ fabric combination these were indeed his perfect relaxing partner as he drove his car for endless hours (I should probably point out that this was a scalextric car... I mean come on weren’t seriously expecting a single hand to drive a proper car were you?).  So it was with great happiness then, that as he left my mother for hand No2, he also left his pride and joys with me for safe keeping.



#4 – Boxing Gloves

 My final offering is these vintage boxing gloves which are actually quite personal to me. I think it’s fair to say that I spent a quite a significant part of my growing up tightly bound in these beauties.  Dark brown, well worn and so very comfortable, it’s true to say that they were involved in many of my recreational pursuits over a number of years.  Now you may think that this means I was a champion boxer or keen trainer, but no, the reality is that my mother insisted that I wear these to bed each night once I reached the age of 10. To this day I’m still not sure of the reason for this protection, maybe it was to stop me sucking my thumb?..  and it’s fair to say that I have never posed the question to her to find out. So this mystery shall remain forever. But as I look back now I am surely thankful for my now perfect 20/20 vision.


Ok so I guess I should apologise for not actually giving you a glimpse into my actual wardrobe but hey after all I am just a mere man. My wardrobe is as you’d expect, it’s nothing special... Fred Perry’s, Levis Jeans, the odd shirt and an assortment of hoodies and nothing over 2 years old (apart from my old Harrington Jacket). 

I suppose I could have cheated and moved instead into Mrs 6th Fingers wardrobe but as anyone who knows my fetishes will testify, this wouldn’t have not offered any reward either, as I have a constant and irrepressible need to prune her wardrobe contents for her without her knowledge (you can read about that Here). 

So there you have it, apologies if it wasn’t what you hoped but now having completed my first tagging.... albeit in a slightly cheating style.. I bid you adieu and pass the baton Cathy at writeanovelin10minutesflat and Mandy at threegirlsandapen as I reckon they may well have some interesting things lurking in their corners!!

7 comments:

  1. Hahahahahahahahahahaha...and so on! I salute you Mr Fingers for your inspired, yet clearly honest, response to that ever important question of what lies in your wardrobe. And you kept VERY quiet about your celebrity parentage? You are indeed a modest hand!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Feck. Vintage clothes. I'll have to see about that. *Furrows brow and wonders if she'll ever reclaim blog from taggers.* Cathy xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've only just found you but I'm liking it...I'm liking it a lot!

    Hi 5's for having a bash at vintage threads or threadz as I believe da kidz call them :)

    (and fanks for joining in at Love All Blogs)
    (apologies for shameless plug)*throws hobnob to you for compensation*

    ReplyDelete
  4. nice gloves!!!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ah thanks, quite a collection and very handy!! x

      Delete
  5. One of the most wonderfully quirky blogposts I've read all week! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. why thank you for your kind comments, wasn't sure if people would get it but glad you enjoyed it! xx

      Delete